Warning to Visitors

Some of the information below may be out of date as a result of changing timetables and services. Please double check the accuracy of all information before travelling.

The booking forms should be up to date however, so if tickets for a particular service are available, then the service should be operational.


Poughkeepsie is a city in the state of New York, United States of America. It is situated in the Hudson River Valley, between NYC and Albany. 

The city is served by the Metro-North Railroad at Metro-North Station. Amtrak services also call at Poughkeepsie, and include the Adirondack, Emire Service and Maple Leaf. 

How to get to Poughkeepsie from
Route 1:

The Adirondack, operated by Amtrak, runs daily between New York City and Montreal. On the journey, which lasts around eleven hours, the train travels along the Hudson Valley. Passengers are treated to some spectacular scenery, including forests, beaches, rivers and mansions.

If travelling towards Montreal, the train leaves New York's Penn Station early in the morning, before arriving in Montreal in time for supper. Travelling towards New York, the train leaves Montreal's Central Station at 09.30am, before arriving in New York at 20.40pm.

On-board the train, a lounge car provides drinks and snacks. Reservations are mandatory, so make sure you book in advance through a provider such as Voyages SNCF (see links below). Seats are large, comfortable, and feature fold-down tables and individual reading lamps.

As this route operates on track not solely owned/operated by Amtrak, the journey does tend to suffer from delays, with the journey only being on-time around 60% of the time. Nevertheless, the journey is well worth it, so just make sure you factor in sufficient contingency time if booking connecting services.

Further information about this route can be found in the Amtrak route guide.

Crossing the USA/Canada Border

If you are crossing the border on this service, you need to make sure you are in posession of all required documentation. For US citizens this could be your passport, driver's licence etc. For Canadian citizens, this could be your passport, trusted traveller card or driving license. For citiziens of other countries, a valid passport and, in most cases, a visa are required. Please check with the appropriate government agencies before travelling.